Google Webmaster is a Great tool to identify the status of the website issue and track the traffic on the website organically. It helps to identify whether your website is infected by any malware or not. This tool is freely available from Google which helps to first identify the issues with the website instead of going blind to increase traffic on website.
Get it Verified
First of all, get your website verified with a Google Webmasters tool. There are various ways to get it verified & some of those steps are mentioned below.
- Google Analytics – Get your Google analytics account synced with the Google Webmasters by using the same code; this can only be possible if you are using the same account for both Analytics and Webmasters.
- HTML/Meta Tag: You can simply ask your developer to add the HTML tag placed on the homepage of the website. Once it is done, all you have to do is click on the verification button.
- Domain Name Provider: You can choose this option from the drop down list and follow the steps mentioned in the Webmasters.
- Google Tag Manager: It helps your website to get verified by the Webmasters and it starts tracking the performance of your website right away.
Since you successfully verified website with Google Webmasters, you can simply log in to the account and the first thing appears is the dashboard, which provides you the most pertinent information of the website.
- Crawl Errors
- Search Analytics
This is a section through which Google communicates with the webmasters and tells whenever webmasters encounters or detect any problem on the website be it related to the malfunctioning of the website, Large number of pages, Server issues etc. So, keep your eye on this section and get it resolved.
It is important to configure your website so that Google could understand what pages you have on the website. If you do not submit all pages of the website, Google will not index your pages and hence traffic will be affected.
You can not submit more than 50,000 URLs. You need to submit the sitemap in XML format. In most cases, marketers are not that technically sound, so either you can ask your developer to submit these sitemaps or you can simply go to the XML sitemaps and create sitemaps by entering the URL’s.
Being a Marketer, this is the one of the most important parts of the Google Webmasters tools which helps you measure the performance of your website. Under this Section, you can get an overview of the keywords performance for the last 90 days. However, many a times, it is observed that the analytics data and Google Webmasters data differ.
Some of the Major Areas that need to be paid attention to under Search traffic section:
- Clicks: Total number of clicks received on the website in last 7,28 or 90 days.
- Impressions: Total number of impressions website got on the search engine in last 7,28 or 90 days.
- (Click Through Rate): It is a percentage representation of the clicks received on impressions.
For example –
- Total Impression(7 days) 500
- Total Clicks(7 days) 10 clicks
- CTR – Total clicks/ Total Impressions * 100
10/500*100 = 2.00%
Higher the CTR, the better.
- Position: It represents the position of the keywords and tells which keywords are fetching most clicks on your website.
To get more updates, subscribe to our newsletter.Continute to next blog